ARCH North East is a constantly evolving organisation with a real ethos for quality and local services for victims and survivors of sexual violence and abuse. Based in Middlesbrough, we provide advocacy services to young people and adults as well as counselling services to people, who have been impacted by sexual violence at any time in their lives. A ‘can do’ attitude is a vital asset at ARCH and we are looking for like-minded individuals’ to work with us who share the same approach and work ethic.
The ISVA must be fully committed to the aims and objectives of ARCH, conducting themselves within the ethos of the charity at all times and work in line with the centre’s equality and diversity policy and feminist values.
To work within a multi-agency setting to provide a pro-active service by providing expert, quality support to women, men, children, and young people who have been affected by rape or sexual abuse within and outside of the criminal justice system to:
- Risk assess and help clients keep safe
- Help clients access their rights
- Help clients access health and other services they require
- Monitor and keep client informed of case progress
- Liaise with other relevant bodies (police, CPS etc)
- Champion an assigned specialist area of ISVA work
- Provide appropriate support through the criminal justice system
Duties and Responsibilities
For all Clients
- Undertake risk assessment and support needs with client.
- Develop individual Safety and Support plans to address risks/support needs of client.
- Provide face to face and telephone, practical and emotional support (non-therapeutic) to clients and their supporters, where appropriate.
- Help client to develop own support network.
- Explain criminal legal, and if relevant, civil remedies and housing options to clients.
- Provide information and support in relation to Criminal Injuries Compensation.
- Where relevant (e.g. domestic violence cases), keep other agencies informed about important changes in client’s situation.
- Consider and respond to safeguarding issues and follow child protection and vulnerable adult’s policies.
If Client reports to the Police
- Support client through the criminal justice system, explaining the procedures and their role and rights within the system.
- Liaise with the police and Crown Protection Service (CPS) on behalf of the client, with the client’s consent and adhering to confidentiality policy in relation to release of information.
- Keep the victim informed about case progress on behalf of the police in line with the requirements of the Victims Code of Practice.
- To participate in case conferences with the police, CPS and prosecuting barrister.
- To understand the need for some clients accessing special measures.
- Contribute to performance management process with ISVA lead.
- Work within a rota system 8.30am to 5pm Mon-Fri and 8.30am to 7pm Tue/Wed/Thu.
- Manage a caseload and maintain and monitor records of all cases.
- Follow procedures and protocols with other services so that the safety of the clients is kept central to any process.
- Contribute to the development of service policies, protocols, guidelines and strategies within area of practice as necessary.
- To develop and maintain effective communication systems with key partners including the police, CPS, court service, social services, children’s services, education, primary care trust (mental and sexual health), Victim Care Advice Service (VCAS), Witness Service and voluntary sector organisations etc.
- To participate in team meetings and peer review.
- To provide specialist advice to other workers and agencies, including participation in delivery of training sessions.
- To have a clear understanding of the myths and facts of sexual violence, rape trauma syndrome, the long-term mental health effects of sexual violence, self harm, suicidal feelings and attempts.
- To be fully aware of resources available regarding interpreters, signers, etc.
- To awareness raise with other agencies via presentations etc.
We are looking for one full time/job share role (35 hours) and one part time (up to 24 hours) (maternity cover only) role.
Please email email@example.com for an application pack.
The closing date for this job is 9 March 2020 - 12:00pm.